I have decided to share a daily challenge with you each day until Easter, April 1st. We are doing this in our Relief Society, and I thought I would like to share it here as well. I shared a little about the challenge here.
Each day I will share the daily video here and then my personal thoughts about it after I have personally watched it. Today is the 7th day.
The Wise Men Seek Jesus
The Wise Men travel far to meet Jesus Christ and present Him with gifts—gold, frankincense, and myrrh. After their visit, Mary and Joseph flee to Egypt to protect Christ from the wicked King Herod, who wants to have Him killed.
Matthew 2:1-2, 11-15
1) Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judæa in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
2) Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
11) And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.
12) And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.
13) And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.
14) When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:
15) And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.
I have two thoughts on this video today. The first is that I never really stopped to think that the three wise men didn’t make their journey alone. It makes sense though that they had servants or people helping them along the way. I guess in my simple mind I just assumed they all got together, loaded up their camels and made a journey together…just the three of them. Silly, but I imagine lots of people have thought this and many kids have that picture in their head. Even seeing the extra pack animals with supplies makes sense to me. I don’t know why I never thought of that before.
My second thought is about obedience. The wise men were obedient in that they made the journey. Then they were obedient when they left a different way than they came. It would have been so much easier to just travel back the same way. But they were warned, and they listened and obeyed. Then Joseph and Mary were obedient and took their family into the wilderness to protect Jesus. What a different story we would maybe know if they had not been obedient. Obedience is important. It matters.
What did you learn from today’s video?