I have decided to share a daily challenge with you each day until Easter, April 1st. We are doing this in our Relief Society, and I thought I would like to share it here as well. I shared a little about the challenge here.
Each day I will share the daily video here and then my personal thoughts about it after I have personally watched it. Today is the fifth day.
Shepherds Learn of the Birth of Christ
The angel Gabriel announces the birth of Jesus Christ to shepherds watching their sheep in the fields. The shepherds visit Mary, Joseph, and the newborn Jesus, who is wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.
8) And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
9) And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10) And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11) For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
12) And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13) And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
14) Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
15) And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.
16) And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.
17) And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child.
18) And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds.
My first impression was how the Shepherds were ready to defend their flocks when the angel first appeared. I have never really thought about how unnerving that must have been for them to have someone appear out of nowhere in the middle of the night. Their first instinct was to protect. But then the angel knew that and immediately put them at ease and then delivered the news.
My second impression was how tired Mary must have been after just giving birth in a stable. And yet, when she saw they had visitors, she sat up and held the baby up so they could see him. How kind and generous she was to do that. It was respectful and she knew they were there to see their Savior. What a remarkable woman!
What did you learn from today’s video?