I have decided to share a daily challenge with you each day until Easter, April 1st. We are doing this in our Relief Society, and I thought I would like to share it here as well. I shared a little about the challenge here.
Each day I will share the daily video here and then my personal thoughts about it after I have personally watched it. Today is the second day.
Mary and Elisabeth Rejoice Together
Mary visits her relative Elisabeth, who in her old age will also soon give birth to a miraculous child. The women rejoice together.
39) And Mary arose in those days, and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Juda;
40) And entered into the house of Zacharias, and saluted Elisabeth.
41) And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:
42) And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women , and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.
43) And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
44) For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.
45) And blessed is she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord.
46) And Mary said , My soul doth magnify the Lord,
47) And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
48) For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden : for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
49) For he that is mighty hath done to me great things ; and holy is his name.
50) And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation.
51) He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
52) He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree.
53) He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.
54) He hath holpen his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy;
55) As he spake to our fathers , to Abraham, and to his seed for ever.
I have a couple of thoughts on this video. The first is how sweet Mary was to first offer service unto Elisabeth. She was also experiencing a difficulty, and instead of focusing on her own, she instead offered service. I think service helps us get out of our own heads and while focusing on someone else, our own difficulties don’t seem as great.
The second thing I noticed, is that when Elisabeth said her babe leapt with joy at the sound of Mary’s voice and the nearness of the babe she carried, that this is indicative of souls being within the babies before birth. I’ve always believed that anyway, but this is a testimony to that fact in the scriptures. Kind of important these days. Also, I think it also testifies that these two babes knew each other before they came to earth. And to the importance of each of their earthly roles.
What did you learn from today’s video?