The first Article of Faith teaches us that we believe in the Son of God,Jesus Christ. This is the fourth in a series of Family Home Evening Lessons on the Articles of Faith.
SUPPLIES: Set of Scriptures for each family member, Children’s Songbook or Selected Music from Church Music Site, Gospel Art Picture Kit or Selected Pictures from Church Website.
PREPARATION: Prayerfully study the lesson in order to prepare yourself to teach your family about Jesus Christ. Gather pictures from Gospel Art Kit or Church Website and write the scripture references on slips of paper for the activity. If there is more than one scripture reference for a picture, then group them together on a single strip of paper.
SCRIPTURE:“We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.” (A of F 1:1)
OBJECTIVE: To learn about Jesus Christ and His life through the scriptures.
NOTE: The purpose of this lesson is to cover the life stories of the Savior. This lesson will not cover the death and the atonement of Christ. This subject will be covered in depth in a future lesson.
We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is our Savior and our Redeemer. Jesus came to earth and is our perfect example. We can learn about Him and how to follow Him in the scriptures.
What are some of your favorite stories in the scriptures about Jesus?
Allow family members to respond.
Bear testimony that we can learn all about the Savior and how to be like Him through the scriptures.
For this activity, you and your family will be matching pictures from the life of Jesus that are included in the Gospel Art Kit, with the scriptures that tell that story from Christ’s life. This is a great way to practice finding scriptures and bringing them to life through the pictures from the Gospel Art Kit that represent these scripture stories.
If you have very young children, you can modify this activity by just showing the pictures and seeing how many of the stories they know. Briefly tell each scripture story or have a family member tell it to the best of their ability.
Here are the pictures and scripture references that you will need for this activity:
1. #201 The Nativity Luke 2:1-16
2. #205 Boy Jesus in the Temple Luke 2:41-52
3. #206 Childhood of Jesus Christ Matthew 13:55-56, Matthew 3:24-25, Luke 2:40
4. #208 John the Baptist Baptizing Jesus Matthew 3:13-17, Mark 1:9-11, Luke 3:21-23, Matthew 3:44-46
5. #209 Calling of the Fisherman Matthew 4:18-22, Mark 1:16-20, Luke 5:1-11
6. #211 Christ Ordaining the Apostles Matthew 10:1-4, Mark 3:13-19, Luke 6:12-16, John 15:16
7. #212 Sermon on the Mount Matthew 5-7
8. #213 Christ Healing a Blind Man John 9:1-17, 35-38
9. #214 Stilling the Storm Matthew 8:23-27, Mark 4:36-41, Luke 8:22-25
10. #215 Jesus Blessing Jairus’s Daughter Matthew 9:18-19, 23-25, Mark 5:22-24, 35-43, Luke 8:41-42, 49-56
11. #217 Christ and the Samaritan Woman John 4:3-30, 39-42
12. #219 Mary and Martha Luke 10:38-42
13. #221 The Ten Lepers Luke 17:11-19
14. #222 Jesus Raising Lazarus from the Dead John 11:1-45
15. #226 Jesus Washing the Apostles Feet John 13:4-15
16. #243 Christ Walking on the Water Matthew 14:13-33, Mark 6:45-51
CONCLUSION: We believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God. We can learn about Him and His life in the scriptures.