We recently had an Italian night and one of the appetizers I made were these Parmesan stuffed mushrooms. They were the absolute perfect bite and addition to our dinner. They were a little bit of heaven here on earth. Seriously.
Since I don’t want to forget how to make these little bites of wonderfulness, I thought I would share with you how I made them. These are super easy to make and oh so worth it.
The first thing you need to do is clean your mushrooms and remove the stems. Set the stems aside as they will be used in the filling. Place the mushroom caps in a prepared baking dish. If you break a mushroom, just keep that part for the filling as well. These are really pretty forgiving.
Next, you will need to need to prepare the mushroom stems by finely chopping them. Add some finely chopped green onions, tops and all, and a little minced garlic.
Prepare some fresh breadcrumbs. I like to make mine fresh with my Vitamix. You simply ball up a slice of bread and turn the blender on. It makes perfect breadcrumbs in just seconds. Spread your breadcrumbs out on a small baking sheet and toast them until they are just starting to turn light brown and the breadcrumbs feel dry. It really doesn’t take too long, but the fresh breadcrumbs that you have toasted make a HUGE difference in the quality of this recipe. Trust me. You won’t be sorry.
Once your breadcrumbs are perfectly toasted, put them in a bowl and add in some freshly chopped parsley and the grated Parmesan cheese.
Now melt your butter in a medium frying pan.
Add the mushroom, onion, garlic mixture and start to saute. It will smell yummy when you are doing this. I just want you to be prepared.
Stir and saute until the mixture browns. It will look like this:
Add the mushroom mixture to your breadcrumb mixture and mix well.
Now it is time to stuff those mushrooms! This is the super hard part. Ok, not really.
Now take some shredded Parmesan cheese and sprinkle that over the mushrooms for extra cheese goodness.
Bake them for 15 long minutes and then you will have the perfect appetizer for your meal. Mmmmm….
- 8 oz pkg Mushrooms
- 2 Green Onions
- 1/2 Clove Garlic or 1/4 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 TB Butter
- 1/2 TB Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Bread Crumbs, Toasted
- 1/8 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 TB Fresh Chopped Parsley
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp. Coarse Black Pepper
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Wash mushrooms and remove stems. Chop the stems finely, and place in a bowl. Finely chop the green onions and add to the mushroom stems in the bowl. Add in the minced garlic.
- Prepare fresh breadcrumbs and lightly toast. Place toasted breadcrumbs in a separate bowl. Roughly chop fresh parsley. Add to breadcrumbs. Add in grated Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, sea salt, and pepper. Mix just until combined.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking dish large enough to hold the mushroom caps in a single layer.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. Add the mushroom mixture and saute while stirring for 3-5 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Combine the mushroom mixture with the breadcrumb mixture and mix well.
- Fill the mushroom caps with the stuffing mixture and arrange in the prepared baking dish. Top with shredded Parmesan Cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Enjoy!