This recipe is the one I fondly refer to as “the best thing to come out of a church dinner ever-ever”. For reals. Several years ago, I signed up to bring these potatoes to a church dinner. The recipe was provided and I thought it would be a simple dish to make and not take too much time. We were shocked at how easy and delicious it was and it quickly became a family favorite. In fact, it is requested at most big family dinners by my side of the family. Everyone loves it. The crispy cheese on the buttery baked potatoes is just divine. And they are so simple to make.
First, cut 2 TB butter into pieces and place in the bottom of an 8X8 baking dish. This is the size dish that works best for my small family. However when I take it big family dinners, I use at least a 9X13 pan and sometimes make 2 of those. So just adjust this up to fit your family. It’s super simple. Really.
Melt the butter in the dish. You can throw this in the microwave if you want, but I usually just pop the dish into the oven while it is heating up. It doesn’t take long.
Now you want to sprinkle your shredded parmesan cheese all over the butter. Go for the shredded and not the powdered gak in the shaker. It makes a huge difference. Trust me.
Cut your red potatoes in half and place cut side down on top of the cheese. How many you get will depend on how big your red potatoes are. I was able to use 4 potatoes this time. If your potatoes are pretty big, cut them into fourths or more so they resemble smaller potatoes and will cook faster. Just a tip.
Now bake your potatoes until they are done. This dish took about 30 minutes. You may have to adjust the time a bit if you are cooking more potatoes, or they are bigger or your oven varies from mine. You should be able to have a fork go in them easily.
Now enjoy them! Notice that crispy cheese on the buttery potato? Divine.
- 2 TB Butter
- 4 Red Potatoes
- Shredded Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut butter into chunks and place in baking dish.
- Melt butter in baking dish.
- Sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese to cover the melted butter on the bottom of baking dish.
- Cut potatoes in half and place cut side down on top of cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until done. Fork should go into the potato easily.
- This is for an 8X8 baking dish. Increase amounts accordingly for larger dishes. I usually plan on about 2-3 potato halves for each person.