We love lasagna in our house. But I hate how long it takes to make it. Enter my new kitchen slave, the Instant Pot. I got this amazing tool for Christmas this past year. It has changed my life. I love to use it and we love everything that comes out of it. When I figured out I could make lasagna in it, we heard the angels sing. Well, it seemed like it anyway. It was EASY to do and it has turned out perfect each time.
Here is how you do it for perfect results…
First, brown your hamburger in a pan on your stove.
Once it looks like this, set it aside.
In a small bowl, add your cottage cheese or ricotta, and your Parmesan cheese. I used cottage cheese because ricotta costs an arm and a leg at our local grocery store. And I used fresh grated Parmesan cheese because I felt it mixed in a little better than the shredded I usually prefer.
Now add in your egg, shredded cheese, (I used a pizza blend with mozzarella in it because that is what I had on hand), salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Mix it all up until it is well blended. Set it aside.
Now line your pan (sprayed with non-stick spray), with oven ready lasagna noodles. You will have to break them up to get them to fit and cover the pan. Round pans come with that issue. Your pan will need to be a 6″ spring-form pan or 7″ push-pan. I am using a push-pan from Fat Daddio’s. I love it.
Cover the noodles with marinara sauce. About 1/3 of a 20 oz jar.
Now top with half of the browned hamburger.
On top of that, add half of your cottage cheese mixture. Repeat the layers, ending with a layer of noodles and then the last of the marinara sauce on top.
Top with a layer of Parmesan cheese, and then more of the mozzarella or pizza cheese blend.
Cover loosely with foil. You don’t want the foil touching the top or the cheese will stick to it.
Place your trivet rack in your Instant Pot. Add 1 1/2 Cups of hot water. Hot water helps the pot come to pressure faster. Just a tip.
Take a long piece of foil and roll it up to make a foil sling. Place this in the pot, leaving the ends up above the pot.
Insert your lasagna pan into the pot and on the sling.
Fold the ends of the sling down and place lid on Instant Pot. Close and turn the pressure valve to close or pressure.
Program your pot to manual and set for 20 minutes. Let the lasagna do a natural release for 10 minutes.
Remove lasagna from Instant Pot. This is where the foil sling will come in handy! Pull the ends back up and holding onto them, just lift everything up and out of the pot. Remove foil. Place under broiler set on high for 5 minutes to crisp up and brown cheese on top.
Remove from pan and enjoy!
- 1 lb ground hamburger
- 1 Cup Cottage Cheese or 8 oz Ricotta
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese (or Pizza Cheese Blend)
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles
- 1 20 oz jar Marinara Sauce
- Brown 1lb ground beef. Set aside.
- Mix cottage cheese (or ricotta), 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 egg, and spices.
- Line bottom of 7" push-pan or 6" spring-form pan with oven ready lasagna noodles. Break into pieces to fit the pan.
- Add a layer of tomato sauce to cover the noodles. About 1/3 of the jar.
- Add a layer of half of the ground beef.
- Add a layer of half of the cottage cheese or ricotta cheese mixture.
- Repeat with another layer of noodles, tomato sauce, ground beef, and cheese.
- Top with layer of noodles, and the last 1/3 of the jar of tomato sauce.
- Add remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Place trivet in Instant Pot insert, and add 1 1/2 cups water.
- Loosely cover pan of lasagna with foil to keep out water.
- Make Foil sling and place in pot on top of trivet.
- Place lasagna pan on top of the foil sling and trivet in insert.
- Lock lid on pot, and set valve to sealing.
- Press manual, and set for 20 minutes (be sure pot is on high pressure).
- After it finishes cooking, allow to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes.
- Remove lasagna after pressure releases. This is where the foil sling will come in handy! Pull the ends back up and holding onto them, just lift everything up and out of the pot.
- Broil on high for 5 minutes to brown cheese.