There are just some things in life that bring a smile to your face. This is one of those recipes that does just that for my family. I usually make this during the holiday season, or the Superbowl. But sometimes I surprise my family and make it for a lunch. They like it when I do that. While it isn’t in any way shape or form a low-fat dish, it is yummy and kind of worth every delectable calorie and fat gram. Oh, and the best part? You can either just cook this on the stove top or start it there and finish it in a slow cooker. I like recipes like that.
Now, in order to make your taste-buds sing and dance, you will need to do the following:
Brown one pound of bulk sausage in a pan on the stove. You can use any kind you like, I prefer to use the Jimmy Dean original sausage.
Crumble the sausage so it is in small pieces and will brown evenly and quickly.
When browned, drain off the fat and add one 8 oz package of cream cheese.
Mix it in with the sausage until it is melted and coats all of the meat.
Add one 16 oz container of sour cream.
Mix it into the sausage mixture.
Stir in one 4 oz can of diced green chilies.
Stir in 3-4 chopped tomatoes.
Simmer over low heat, letting all the delicious flavors blend.
This is one of those recipes that just gets better the longer it has to simmer. This is why it is fabulous in a slow cooker set on low. If I am planning on using my slow cooker, I will add the mixture in just after the sour cream is added and add the chilies and tomatoes directly into the slow cooker.
Serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
- 1 lb bulk sausage, I like Jimmy Dean Original–use what you like.
- 1 8-oz package of cream cheese
- 1 16-oz container of sour cream
- 1 4-oz can diced green chilies
- 3-4 diced tomatoes
- Brown sausage in pan on stove. Drain off fat.
- Add cream cheese and mix well.
- Add sour cream and mix well.
- If using a slow cooker, put the mixture into your pot at this point. Turn on low.
- Stir in green chilies and diced tomatoes.
- Let simmer until flavors are blended.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!