I mentioned the other day that we had an Italian night at our home recently. One of the other appetizers that I served was this wonderful, fresh tomato bruschetta. I love bruschetta, but I tend to be a bit picky about it. I like it to not be so overpowering with garlic that you can’t taste the other fresh flavors. I am not a huge garlic fan, but when it is done right, I tend to be very happy to indulge in items that contain it.
The first thing I did was make some fresh Italian baguette bread. I have a recipe for it that is so simple and fast. I will have to share it here in the future. It is wonderful and delicious and really makes bruschetta absolutely perfect. Really.
The first thing you need to do to make my bruschetta, is to dice your tomatoes and put them into a bowl.
Next, you will want to add in all the good stuff. Normally I use fresh basil that I chop, but our store didn’t have any. So I decided to try something new to me…fresh basil paste. It comes in a tube and essentially is fresh basil that is already chopped up. You squeeze it out and use it in equal measurement to regular fresh basil that you chop. It totally worked and I will remember this for the future when I don’t have any fresh basil on hand from my own herb garden.
Now add in your olive oil and stir it all up and put it in the refrigerator for at least an hour so the flavors all blend together.
Slice your baguette bread and toast it in the oven. Then top each slice with a generous serving of the bruschetta and enjoy! Your mouth will be very happy. I promise.
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 3 TB Chopped Fresh Basil or Fresh Basil Paste
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Coarse Black Pepper
- 4 Medium Tomatoes, Diced
- 2 TB Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Loaf Italian Baguette Bread
- Place diced tomatoes in a large bowl. Add basil, garlic salt, sea salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Add olive oil. Toss gently. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Bring to room temperature before serving. Slice bread diagonally and toast in oven until lightly browned. Top with tomato mixture. Enjoy!