If you are looking for an easy and tasty dish for a Mexican food night, have I got the recipe for you!
We love nachos in our family. We like simple nachos with just chips and cheese, and we like more complex nachos with beef, refried beans, cheese, tomatoes, and anything else you can pile on them. So it really wasn’t a stretch to have chicken nachos. And making them in the crockpot, where you can throw it all in, set it, and walk away for several hours makes them even better. At least for me.
Here is what you need to create this culinary masterpiece that will delight your tastebuds and tummy….
Now, I will start by saying that I kind of forgot to snap the first couple of pictures. So just use your imagination. You won’t have to work hard…I promise.
Place your chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot that you have prepared by spraying with a non-stick spray.
Next, pour a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies on top.
And here is where I remembered to start taking pictures…
Pour a can of chili beans on top of that.
Now spread 1 cup of sour cream and taco seasoning over the top of the beans and diced tomatoes. I like to mix the taco seasoning in with the sour cream because it seems to blend well and distribute more evenly that way. You don’t have to do it that way, but I prefer it.
Now pour a can of corn over the top of all of that, juice and all.
Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth or stock. (Ignore my Bosch mixer in the background. Haha)
Now for my favorite part…set it for 7 hours on low and walk away.
Once you have reached the 7th hour, remove the chicken from the crockpot,
and shred it with a fork.
Place it back in the crockpot.
If you still have a lot of liquid, then leave the lid off and cook for another 30 minutes to an hour until the liquid reduces.
Now, get your chips, spoon on the Mexican Chicken goodness, and top with more sour cream, salsa, and cheese. Lots of cheese. Of course you can use fancy plates like mine if you don’t want to wash lots of dishes…oh, and Enjoy!
- 2 Lbs Chicken Breast
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth or Stock
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Can Chili Beans
- 1 14-oz Can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 1 Can Corn
- 2 Packets Taco Seasoning
- Tortilla Chips
- Sour Cream (For Topping)
- Salsa (For Topping)
- Grated Cheese (For Topping)
- Spray crockpot with non-stick spray.
- Mix the sour cream and the taco seasoning together.
- Place chicken in bottom of of crockpot and top with all ingredients except the tortilla chips and toppings.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- In the last hour, shred the chicken with a fork.
- After chicken is shredded, if the mixture is still soupy, cook with lid off for 30 minutes to an hour to
- Reduce the liquid.
- Serve over tortilla chips and top with sour cream, salsa, and cheese.