I love to cook in my crockpot. I also love my enchiladas. What I don’t like is how long it takes me to make them. There is just some genuine love and time that goes into preparing all of the ingredients and filling each tortilla, rolling it up, placing it in the pan and then baking it. My idea of perfection is cutting that prep time to about a third. Enter my beloved crockpot. The marriage of my crockpot and my enchilada recipe was nothing short of fabulous. The family was happy. I was happy. It was a win-win night.
The leftovers were even better than the first night. Again this made me happy. And it is so easy to do. Again, this is a happy thing. Here is what you need to create this in your own home.
First you need to brown your hamburger.
Now add your taco seasoning to the browned hamburger.
Let that simmer while you get the other ingredients ready.
Now warm up your refried beans.
And warm up your enchilada sauce and tomato sauce mixture.
Spray your crockpot really well with non-stick spray. Trust me…it makes clean up so much nicer.
Cover the bottom of your crockpot with the enchilada/tomato sauce mixture.
Top with corn tortillas. You’ll need to overlap them just a bit to make it work.
Now add a layer of refried beans on top of the tortillas.
On top of that, add a layer of your taco meat.
Now cover with lots of shredded cheese.
Now repeat the layers again one or two more times, starting with the sauce.
You will want to top it off with a layer of tortillas.
Pour the rest of the sauce all over the top. I almost forgot to snap a picture before I covered with cheese, so that explains the cheese.
NOW you can top that with lots and lots of yummy cheese. I chose cheddar-jack because it was what I had and it looked pretty.
Now put the lid on your crockpot and let it cook while you relax. Yes, that last part made me laugh too. Relax??
At dinner time, serve it up on some fancy plates like mine.
Oh, it tastes just fine on real plates, but hey, I was busy and didn’t feel like all the dishes. We like to top our enchiladas with sour cream, lettuce, tomato, salsa and of course, more cheese. It makes our world go round.
- 1 lb Hamburger
- Taco Seasoning
- 1 Large Can Enchilada Sauce
- 8 oz Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 Can Refried Beans
- Shredded Cheese
- Corn Tortillas
- Sour Cream, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Salsa, and more Cheese for on top when serving
- Brown hamburger. Drain. Add taco seasoning. (I get mine in bulk and just use what I need for 1 lb of hamburger. A packet or your own recipe will work just fine.)
- Warm refried beans. Mix enchilada sauce and tomato sauce together and warm.
- Spoon enchilada/tomato sauce into bottom of crockpot. Cover with corn tortillas. Spread refried beans on the tortillas. Top with a layer of hamburger, then sprinkle a generous layer of cheese. Spoon more sauce on top and repeat all layers until you have 3 layers deep. Top with one more layer of tortillas. Pour remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle generously with cheese.
- Cook on high for 3 hours, or low for 5 hours. Serve with sour cream, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese.