My son has a favorite meal around here and it is my Chicken Parmagiana. He would eat it for every meal if I would let him. I choose instead to make it every once in a while so it remains special. If I am honest, it is one of the easiest meals to make. And it is pretty quick to put together. But don’t tell Chandler that. He would demand it at the very least weekly. I need to keep my Mom secrets. Shhhh….
First add Italian seasoned breadcrumbs to a dish for breading. I got a set of these from Pampered Chef a long time ago and they are my go-to item whenever I am planning on breading anything. They are just perfect!
Now add an equal amount of shredded Parmesan cheese. You want the shredded Parmesan, not the grated, powdered gak. It makes a big difference in the taste. I am an official Parmesan cheese snob. It matters.
Mix the breadcrumbs and the cheese together until they are well blended. It takes like 5 seconds. Really.
Add a beaten egg to another breading tray.
Now hook them together like this and you are ready to bread those chicken breasts. I use chicken breasts that are fairly close to size and thickness. If you don’t have any, you will want to place them between sheets of waxed paper and pound them until they are the same width. This way they will cook evenly and you won’t have some chicken done and others not done.
Now, dip both sides of the chicken breast into the egg.
Now roll the chicken through the breadcrumb and cheese mixture, coating both sides well.
Place the breaded chicken into a hot skillet that has had a little olive oil put in the bottom. (You can tell my skillet is older and has been well used over the years. )
Turn the chicken over once the first side has been well browned. Turn the skillet down and let the chicken finish cooking.
Pour your marinara sauce over and around the chicken in the skillet. Let simmer for a few minutes.
Top each chicken piece with plenty of shredded mozzarella.
Put the lid on the skillet and let the cheese get all melted and yummy.
It should look like this…yummy and ready to serve.
Add a little fresh shredded Parmesan cheese to the top of each chicken breast after you plate it. Make sure you have lots of yummy marinara sauce as well. Enjoy!
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)
- 1/3 Cup Italian Style Dry Bread Crumbs
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese (The real stuff. Not that grated, powdered gak.)
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 TB Grated Parmesan Cheese (See note above.)
- 16 oz Jar of your favorite Spaghetti Sauce (I used my homemade I put up last Fall)
- Between sheets of waxed paper, flatten chicken to 1/4 inch thickness. In shallow dish, mix bread crumbs and 1/3 Cup Parmesan cheese. Dip the chicken into egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
- In 12 inch skillet (or electric skillet set to Medium heat), heat oil over medium heat. Cook chicken in oil 10 to 15 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink in center. Pour spaghetti sauce around chicken in skillet. Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese over chicken; cover and heat until melted. Sprinkle with 2 TB Parmesan cheese just before serving. Enjoy!
- I often increase this recipe to 6 servings, or just double it. This allows us to have the leftovers the next day in a sandwich. I just use sub sandwich bread and spread marinara over the inside. Then I cut up the chicken into slices and spread over the sauce. Then top with cheese and melt it. It's one of our favorite ways to eat these leftovers.