Cold weather means warm soups for dinner. One of our favorites is this Broccoli Cheese Soup that I love to serve in bread bowls. It’s fine when served in a bowl with bread on the side, but there is just something special about a bowl you can eat. It makes it just perfect and oh so satisfying.
To make this soup, you’ll first need some veggies:
Dice them up so they look like this:
In a large pot, melt one stick of butter.
Once the butter is melted, add the veggies and saute them for 2 minutes to soften them.
Once they are softened, add in the flour and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Now add in the chicken stock, milk, and half and half.
Don’t forget the salt and pepper!
Now add the broccoli and simmer for 15 minutes on a medium fire.
Now it is time to blend the soup. I like mine chunky-smooth, so I just do it slightly with a stick blender. If you want it smooth, then puree it in your blender.
Your soup should look like this is you like it the way I do:
Now that your soup is ready, it’s time to add the cheese. Cheese makes almost everything better…
Stir your cheese into the hot soup so that it is all blended and perfect.
Now it is time to serve it up and enjoy!
- 1 Stick of Butter or 1/2 Cup
- 1 Medium Onion, Diced
- 1 Large Potato, Diced
- 2-3 Carrots, Diced
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Cups Milk
- 2 Cups Half and Half
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Coarse Black Pepper
- 4 Heads Broccoli cut into Florets
- 3 Cups Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add diced vegetables and saute' for 2 minutes. Mix in flour. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Mix in the chicken stock, milk, and half and half. Season with salt and pepper. Add in broccoli. Simmer on medium low for about 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Blend soup until desired consistency is achieved.
- Add cheese and stir until melted. Serve.