Welcome to another 5 Things Friday Linkup, where everyone links up a post about 5 Things. If you are new here, it can be 5 Things of whatever you choose, as long as it is family friendly, as we are a family friendly blog here. All I ask is that you place a link somewhere in your post to this post before you link your post at the bottom here. Pretty easy. 🙂
This week, I thought I would share 5 Reasons I Loved Homeschooling. I could also term this as 5 things I miss about homeschooling, since we finished a couple of years ago. Hard to believe it has been that long. It went pretty fast. Too fast. Sob.
So here they are, in no particular order…
- Pajama Days–I loved being able to spontaneously declare a day to be pajama day. It was super fun to stay in our pj’s all day long. Now that we are done with homeschooling, and we have to be out in the world a bit more, these days just don’t happen as easily as they used to. We miss them. In fact, we were recently trying to figure out how to schedule one in. It was a lot of work to try to find a day where we could have a pajama day. We are still working on it though. Pajama days rule!
- Field Trips–I miss all the different and varied field trips we were able to take while homeschooling. Field trips got us out of the house and we were still learning really cool things. We can still go to some of the same places now, but it just isn’t the same.
- Movie Rewards–I loved getting to reward my son with movies. We had a deal where if he read the book, if there was a movie, we would watch it afterward. We watched some great movies. In fact, we did a class his Senior year, where we would watch movies as literature. He studied different genres, wrote lots of papers, and we watched some really great stuff. We even did a section on musicals. It was heaven. We discussed a lot of movies that year and it was one of our favorite classes.
- Science Class–I loved science. If you read my blog back when we were doing high school science, you may remember how gleeful I was when we were doing chemistry. I really wanted to blow some things up and have a ball. The boys wouldn’t let me. I loved when we did biology and dissected things. We even dissected a shark one time over shark week. I made Chandler take Earth Science and Astronomy. He actually grew to really like that class, though he wasn’t too excited about it at first. I think the volcano was the start of him thinking the class wasn’t too bad. (See, I was still trying to blow things up…hehe.) Science was my one of my favorite classes. I miss having it, I mean teaching it.
- We could take whatever classes we wanted or needed, or change them at will–I loved the flexibility of homeschooling. We could create classes that fit our interests. Chandler decided he wanted to be an author, so we took a novel writing class. I found a class and he soaked it in. (Since he has 6 books published now, I think that one was a success!) Math wasn’t working? That was fine. We changed programs mid year. Want to spend a year studying The Lord of the Rings? Yep, we found a wonderful curriculum for that. In fact, it turned out to be one of Chandler’s very favorite classes we ever did. The point is that everything was flexible and adaptable to our wants and needs. It was awesome.
What are some your favorite things about homeschooling?
And don’t forget to link up your own post for 5 Things Friday!